Friday, December 31, 2010

For Pita's Sake

My mom and I ate at a Greek food place the other week, and they had the most amazing pitas. These were not like the ones I used to get at the grocery store that were thin and dry. These were softer and thicker with a better taste and a great chewy texture. We bought some to bring home with us.

We had some ground lamb that for Christmas my mom was going to make into meatballs from her new Tapas cookbook, but she didn't end up making them. (Instead, she made the best apple pie I've had in years, so I wasn't disappointed.) Earlier this week I decided I'd better cook the lamb since I didn't want to waste it by letting it go bad.

Inspired by the Greek food I'd had, I made meatballs with the ground lamb, cumin, coriander, garlic, cayenne, and a little cinnamon. There might have been something else in there too, but I've forgotten. I rolled them into small balls and cooked them in a skillet. I made a yogurt sauce with non-fat Greek yogurt, finely minced garlic, a little lemon juice, salt, and pepper. I also cut up some lettuce, grated a carrot, and very thinly sliced up some yellow onion.

To assemble the sandwiches, I warmed the pitas up on a cast-iron griddle pan, let them cool for a few seconds and then spread them with the yogurt sauce. I sliced up some of the meatballs and layered them on 1 side of the pita, added lots of lettuce, carrot, and onion, and then folded the pita in half.

They turned out really yummy. I liked the combination of hot pita and lamb with the cold yogurt and vegetables. The lamb was spicy but not too hot and the yogurt was creamy with the sharp bite of garlic and tanginess of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment